Monday 31 March 2014

Engine info

Old rarely updated blog but here is a random post.

The 34 Camano is, as already mentioned, a 34' fishing boat converted to a cabin cruiser at the factory. I have one of the first few so converted and here are some random factiods I've figured out over the years.

My boat, #3, was actually built in 1971 but was sold in 1973. I figure it sat configured as a fishing boat, ready to go, for more than a year before it was taken back in an reconfigured as a cabin cruiser.

It has the preferred engine for fishing use, the Ford Lehman 120 model 2714. Most Ford Lehman 120's are model 2715 which is the 120hp model. The 2714 is much less, maybe only 100hp, due to a different injector pump which delivers less fuel per shot.

The 2714 was preferred for commercial use because it used less fuel and lasted much longer. It appears that many of the stories of the Ford Lehman 120's having  great fuel consumption and lasting for 20 or 30 thousand hours were the model 2714 in commercial applications. That reputation is gladly worn by 2715's in pleasure crafts but they seem to be much more likely to have early deaths, higher fuel consumption and more overheating problems with #6 cylinder.

So far I have been unable to source the 2714 injector pump, they all seem to have been rebuilt with 2715 parts. I'll have to do more research and will not be surprised to have to rebuilt the injector pump myself, or convert. My pump is working well but leaks oil and needs to have that oil changed about every 25hrs or so due to diesel getting past the pistons.

My engine still has the original freshwater drive, though the pump has been replaced. I've been told the pump drive was a design flaw to save money. After an inspection I can see the problem but it looks like I've few seasons left.

The transmission has been replaced, and then replaced again. As is so often the case the second install was not done correctly but with over a thousand hours on the third transmission it seems to be doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment